Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Scribblings #68 - Forbidden



Off-limits.
Prohibited.
Messages about the evils of the world that tempt action.
The black and white "don't do it" lectures that deny us of important lessons about moderation and compromise.
Without those lessons, we never learn about what's normal and expected to happen as we grow up.

They say, "Smoking is wrong". So I buy a pack from the vending machine at the donut shop, smoke several on various occasions, and thankfully hate it!

I hear "Drinking alcohol is unholy". So I accept too many rum & cokes from my best friend's sister and pass out.

Warnings are fired at me that "Good girls don't have pre-marital sex". So I talk to my friend about it, make sure there are condoms, and later get myself on the birth control pill. And then.... I'm a "bad girl"?!?!

When talking about menstruation, I hear hushed tones."She's getting her period". So I feel ashamed and embarrassed. And then take 20 years to figure out how to be comfortable about it.

FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN

FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember ever absolutely forbidding anything to my children. I would discuss my attitudes and I would listen to theirs. I'm ancient (87 years old) and those four children are in their sixties, all thoughtful and open-minded adults, good citizens who know when to obey good laws and the occasional necessity of disobeying bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny but, infortunately, so true for many of us!

    Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is priceless! And that picture is really great.

    ReplyDelete