Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Scribblings #46 - The Future of the Planet

I have to say that when I saw the topic for this week's Sunday Scribblings, I felt a little less than thrilled. While I am a conscious person, today I feel like the last thing I need is to dwell in negativity or doomsday scenarios and to live, in my mind at least, in a time other than the present.

The future is a good thing to think about, don't get me wrong.
We all have to plan and anticipate and be prepared.
It would be foolish and wildly egocentric of us to believe that we have no role in nurturing mother earth or father universe.
Or that we can live destructively or absentmindedly.

But there's a fine line.
I for one don't want to be so immersed in fear I lose sight of the precious moments in which I am presently living.

So my future is the present.
I'll continue to do my part by riding my bike (year round, yes, in the snow too!), taking public transit when riding's not possible, and composting. Lately, I'm doing a lot more reducing (not buying things I don't need, using my cloth grocery bags ) and re-using (buying used clothing, trading clothes with friends, re-using plastics).



And I'll lend support to environmental causes, no doubt about it.
But I won't be scared.

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Jennifer. And a great picture to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree heartily with what you said... I could not agree more...we have to work at being positive while respecting the larger issue...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't live in fear yet we can do our part...YES! You rock riding your bike in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - no sense in being scared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound a lot like me, except it's still a bit too dangerous to bike too much around here. I'm doing my best to get out there and encourage others to.

    Thanks for stopping by! What a pleasure to meet you.

    ReplyDelete